Cranberry-Orange Scones Recipe
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 cup fresh cranberries (coated in a light dusting of sugar)
1 cup chilled buttermilk (I did juice from 1 orange plus additional buttermilk for a total of 1 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda into large bowl. Mix in orange peel.
3. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix in cranberries. Gradually add buttermilk and orange juice, tossing with fork until moist clumps form.
4. Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface. Knead briefly to bind dough, about 4 turns. Form dough into 1-inch-thick round. Cut into 10 wedges. Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.
5. Bake until tops of scones are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let stand on baking sheet 10 minutes. Serve scones warm or at room temperature.