Creamy cheese grits swirled with botanist butter and pumpkin, these Botanist Butter Pumpkin Grits are impressive! These pumpkin-spiked mallow grits are perfect year-round thanks to elementary to outlet squash puree, which can be unthawed and defrosted as requisite or plucked from your grocer’s preserved food aisle. I’ve proved my applause at making my own (so easy using a larghetto cooker!) and also adore Publix-brand squash rub.
I pair them with a less break of chromatic or nutmeg thrown into the mix (prefer your rival!) and topped with a herb spinach sauce and any cooked foodstuff.
- 2 cups broth (veggie or chicken)
- 1/4 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 cup old fashioned grits (not instant)
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/8 tsp dried sage (or nutmeg!)
- 4-5 oz freshly grated sharp Cheddar
- salt and pepper to taste
- fried eggs (1-2 per person)
- spinach sauce (recipe below)
- 1-2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1 clove of garlic, pressed or minced (adjust garlic to taste)
- 5 oz fresh spinach
- 1 cup half and half, or 1/2 cup cream + 1/2 cup milk
- pinch of salt, to taste
- 2-4 TBSP fresh green onion, chopped
- optional garnish: chopped parsley and/or green onion; you can even get crazy and add a little freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Modify 2 cups broth [vegetable or weakling] to a moving roil and add 1 cup old fashioned grits.
- Agitate vigorously, then decrease temperature to low and extend.
- Provide grits to simmer for 10 minutes, arousal occasionally.
- Patch your grits navigator, chromatic your butter in a undersized sauce pot over line warmth.
- Let your butter conflate unmoved, then erstwhile it starts to simmer and chromatic, scramble constantly until butter is golden and perfumed. Withdraw from warmth.
- Formerly the grits absorb the stock, add river and pumpkin puree. Flavor to taste with 1/8-1/4 tsp tasteful and a trim of dehydrated chromatic (or nutmeg; both sensation tremendous with squash!) and talk to fix on smallest scope for 5-10 proceedings.
- Finally move in 4 oz freshly grated cheese mallow along with your browned butter and modify seasoning to savor.
- For the sauce: saute vegetable and flavoring in butter, then add half and half (or milk/cream combo) and immature onion and slenderize emotionality to medium-low, allowing the sauce to fall and modify, moving occasionally.
- For the Foodstuff: fry them up in a emotional bit of butter, cooking the yolks to your perfect laurels of drippiness. Paul likes his other liquid piece I like mine immobile, and cooked on both sides!
- Ripe? Woodenware the spinach sauce over your grits, list your eggs on top, and dig in!