Chunked chicken coated in seasoned flour and then dipped in buttermilk, fried until super crispy, and then soaked in a sweet honey soy sauce. This crispy honey chicken turns out incredible and is so delicious! You’ll love the crispy coating and texture.
Actualy its simillar with Korean fried chicken ..
The sweet honey soy sauce gets simmered on the stove and then once the chicken is done you pour the sauce over it and then stir (super gently) to coat everything. I let the sauce simmer on low while the chicken is frying. That way the sauce will be hot when it’s poured over the fried chicken, which is what you want to make it easier to coat all the chicken in the sauce.
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- pinch of red pepper flakes if wanted
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 large chicken breasts about 1 1/2 lbs, cut into 1 1/2″ pieces
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Canola oil for frying (2″ of oil in a skillet)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the honey, soy sauce, water, sesame oil, red pepper flakes (if using) and vinegar. Whisk together and bring to a boil.
- In a separate bowl stir together the cornstarch and water. Set aside. Once the sauce is boiling slowly add the cornstarch mixture, while whisking. Bring back to a boil and then turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- ((If the sauce seems to be getting too thick (while you’re frying the chicken) then add water, a tablespoon at a time, to thin it out. You don’t want the sauce too thin as it is supposed to be a thicker sauce.))
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a deep skillet pan over medium high heat.
- In a dish, mix the flour and spices. Put the buttermilk in a separate bowl.
- Toss the chicken (about 15 pieces at a time) in the flour, then into the buttermilk and then back into the flour. Place the coated chicken in the hot oil and cook for about 5-7 minutes, turning the chicken so all sides get cooked. The chicken needs to be cooked through and up to temp.
- Place the cooked chicken on a paper towel lined plate.
- Continue cooking the remaining chicken in batches until done.
- Combine all the cooked chicken into a large mixing bowl. Pour the hot honey sauce over and gently mix together until all chicken pieces are coated.
- Serve over white or brown rice.